Performances, Lessons, Master Classes, Rehearsals of large brass ensembles and quintets (coached by artist faculty) and more!
Bud Herseth and Jim Dooley at SBI 2006 here
Spend intensive days working with the acclaimed Bay Brass faculty and your fellow advanced brass players on the art of sound. Perform with the Bay Brass. Burnish your sound, explore new ways of thinking about ensemble and orchestral playing, unleash your potential as a brass player. We offer a professional preparation seminar in which you play side-by-side with symphony members. Daily practice, coachings, informal discussions about professional careers, and performance opportunities fill this nine-day institute.
• Brass Ensembles: focusing on quintet literature and other ensemble combinations; intensive and supportive coaching prepares you for performance
• Private Lessons focusing on enhancing your technique and sound production
• Master Classes offered on solo and orchestral repertoire
• Professional Preparation Classes: play in a brass section, side-by-side with Bay Brass members in orchestral repertoire
• Festival Concert and Institute Performance opportunities
Summer Brass Institute at Menlo invites serious brass players to participate in this intensive week of symphonic brass and chamber music. Study with nationally renowned professionals who convey an amazing concept of sound!
Schedule and Activities
Each day’s schedule runs from 9 am-5 pm, providing ample opportunities for coaching, ensemble practice, individual practice and lessons with the distinguished faculty. Each day's schedule is posted, with coachings, rehearsals and lessons by the hour, in our spacious facilities. Opportunities for casual conversation over coffee breaks and noontime lunch allow students to learn informally and discuss brassplaying issues with faculty members and one another. Coaching, lessons and activities stop at 5 pm to get ready for dinner. Informal trips to San Francisco for sightseeing may be available as time permits. Evenings are full of master classes and performances, lasting til 10 pm or possibly later.
Cost is $600 for tuition . Note that room and board will not be offered this year; anparticipants from outside the area must make their own arrangements for lodging in nearby facilities.
The Summer Brass Festival takes place on the wooded, pleasant grounds of Menlo School, located in the heart of the San Francisco Bay area, just 30 minutes from the city of San Francisco itself. Summertime at Menlo features plenty of sunshine on this tree-lined campus set between the verdant hills of the Coast Range and the blue waters of San Francisco Bay. Dormitory housing is available on campus. A five-minute walk takes you to downtown Menlo Park, with its ample assortment of restaurants, bookstores and shops. The area offers a safe environment and pleasant natural beauty in which to pursue your musical studies during the intensive Brass Institute.
Tuition for the tnstitute, with llunch included $600 l with one lesson included and more available at $100 additional charge per lesson.
• Step one apply online; if you experience technical difficulties, contact director Vicky Greenbaum at email@example.com to request a hard copy of the form. If you do not receive a response to your online application within 24 hours, email firstname.lastname@example.org because the server may have gone down. APPLICATION DEADLINE IS APRIL 30
• Step two: we contact your reference (teacher, ensemble director) so they may attest to your advanced level of playing
• Step three: upon acceptance, send a check or money order for $100 to hold your place.
Address questions to :
Vicky Greenbaum, Director
Summer Brass Institute at Menlo
50 Valparaiso Ave.
Atherton CA 94027